Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Make Ahead Pumpkin Pie

I had to travel for ThanksGiving and I was in charge of bringing the pies.  I prefer pumpkin pie made from scratch.  I decided that it would be easier to bake the pies after I had arrived so that nobody would smash them on the way.  We have had that happen before.  
These are the freezer bags of pumpkin, spices and sugar.  I just wrote on the bags what I should add when I was ready to bake them.  One package is saved for Christmas.  Each bag makes 2 pies.  I used the Better Homes and Gardens recipe for pumpkin pie.

This is one of the pumpkins left over from Halloween.  Pumpkin is a winter squash and so it will keep quite well if kept cool.  Generally on a counter or shelf in your storage room should do.  Since I planned on cooking it right away I left it on the counter in my kitchen.  I baked it in halves because the whole thing would not fit in my oven.

Cook your pumpkin until it is soft.  Then you scoop out the flesh with a spoon and drop it into a blender.  Pumpkin is stringy almost like a spaghetti squash so you need to puree the flesh.




This is what the pumpkin looks like after it is pureed.  

I just measured out what I needed for my pies and froze it in freezer bags.  The puree keeps well in the fridge for a week or you can freeze it for later.  My pumpkin will make all sorts of stuff like pancakes, muffins, Pumpkin Ginger Bread (the recipe on Allrecipes is great), and more pie.

This method worked out well.  We enjoyed the pie and will enjoy the rest of the pumpkin in other recipes.



No comments:

Post a Comment